2014 - 2015: Urbino, Italy
Unforunately I did not finish out an entire year with my Italian club in Urbino. Due to some financial issues with the club I felt that it was my best interest to head to a more stable club and team. I finished my season in Vilsbiburg, Germany. It was super hard to leave my teammates in January, as well as the strong league and italian life. Below is a mash of post-World Championships travelling (with my parents in Bologna and Cinque Terre), Urbino-life, adventures, Zeus (my adopted stray kitten), and stollen game photos.
Here are a few noteworthy facts about Italia:
- How to eat pasta: Twirl pasta onto fork. Place the entire forkful into mouth. Do not slurp.
- No tipping ever. I still do because then you make friends :)
- Only order cappuccinos in the morning.
- It's uncommon for women guests to pour wine.
- When you've finished your dinner you lay the fork & knife across the right side of the plate.
- Foods to try: antipasto, pizza, all pastas, risotto, gelato, cappuccinos, lemon sgroppino, local wine (duh!).
- Italians appreciate openness and sincerity. Maintain eye contact when speaking to someone.
- Friends & family kiss both cheeks, starting with the left. Women should also offer their hand first when shaking hands.
- Expect Italians to arrive 15 to 30 minutes late to dinners and parties. I fit right in.
- "Ciao" is used for both hello and goodbye.
Check out my blog post about the first half of season & the first couple months of living in Italy here.